Friday, October 3, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Sorry about the lack of updates lately. I had hopes of updating more often but was kept busy in Petersburg the last couple weeks and trying to get moved back home. So here's the ketchup:

Had a good collegiate race at big bear. Ended up with 5th place in the tt and 4th in the xc race. I felt godd in the techy stuff but was struggling on the hills and speed sections. Returned to petersburg with hopes of getting a solid training plan in for the remainder of my stay there. I rested on Monday, did hill climbs on the 2 mile climb on tuesday, then set out wednesday on a moderate ride. My legs felt really bad so i decided on a flater route up towards moorefield. The rid eto more field was kinda short so i kept on riding past it, just trying to get a couple hours in. I was averaging 18mph when i turned around and was able to keep it all the way back to petersburg. Then i rode around town to make it 45 miles in 2:30. The fastest long ride i have probably ever done by myself, although it was all flat. I took the the rest of the week off-a little recovery and a little busy. Wroked on saturday in fairmont, after work i went to the store and felt my sinuses getting tense. Effffffff. I got a cold. The next day was the final race at wisp for the season. I showed up in the morning trying to get as many practice runs in as i could. it was a familiar course that we used for many collegiate races. i had it pinned on the top part but bobbled slightly on the bottom part and i'm guessing that's were i lost time. I ended up 4th i think. There were only seconds between all of us. I felt like crap with the cold the following week. I went out on really easy road rides on tuesday and wednesday do just spin the legs a little. I finished up with my rotation on friday and packed up and headed south to camp at seneca rocks. Amber met me down there on friday night. I've been trying to get the camp cleaned up and ready to roll all summer. Although i still have a few things to do-painting and landscaping.



Saturday brought the revenge of the rattlesnake. My body told me no all week with this crappy cold but i went ahead and raced. It was an epic race-going into dolly sods and then crossing over to the trails on canaan mt before finishing in davis. pretty much 2 totally different areas linked together in a race. I had an absolute blast. I tried to pace myself for the whole race. After the sods lop and heading to canaan mt i started to feel a little tired and got passed a couple of times. I reached into my camelback on loop road and pulle dout the emergency red bull and when i got back on plantation i felt great and it was all gas to the finish. I probably saved a little too much or taken the red bull too late because i felt like i could've rode some more at the end. ended up with 19th place overall and 11 in the open class. pretty good for not riding the mtb since big bear.




Finishing up crossing the blackwater river in davis:


Met chuck and bobbi in davis and headed over to camp with some sirianni's garlic chips and pizza. Sunday was the double down dh race at timberline. It was their 1st dh race in a long time. It had poureed the rain for days and didn't want to stop for the race either. I had put on the mud tire on the back the night before and was so glad for it on the first practice run. i was able to get a couple practice runs on each course before the race, so i knew what was coming. i registered for expert since that's what i always race. the start order was pro's, exp, spt, beg. there was one registered pro. the name sounded familiar but didn't know him. then it was experts. I wanted to go first and get my run out of the way. I knew the pro time before was like 4:10. i took off out of the gate stuck the slaloms at the top,blew a high speed turn but hopped back up on the trail and pinned the steeps and across the flat to the finish-3:45. I couldn't believe it. i expected someone to beat it since i blew the turn and had to climb up the hill but as the riders came down noone did. so i ended up with 1st in the first race. the second race course was totally different. Start order was the same as the first race. I was really stoked from my first run and really wanted to pin it even harder. i took off out of the gatet cleared the first rock garden cleaned the shole run and still mustered up the legs that i had left to do all the sprints to the finish. When i finished jr the race director came up to me and said we lost your run. it really took it awhile to set in. i think he told me like 5 times. then he was like i'm not kidding you gotta go again. I was cool with it, it really didn't bother me too much my fears were being able to clear the rock garden agian and trying to get the sprints in. I told him that i would go last. back int he starting gate again. Cleared the rock garden again and headed down the mountain. At the sprint sections at the bottom my legs said no. i sat down once and tried to keep pedaling to get to the next trail section. then managed to sprint for everyone at the finish-4:32. The fastest time on this course too. I ended up winning the whole shebang! I couldn't believe it.




Sprinting at the end of race #1




Sprinting at the end of race #2 (1st run):








JR telling me i had to go again:








Yeah it was muddy out there:








Maximizing lift time with the crew:








Afterwards the whole crew-johnny, lb, chris, chuck, andy, and i hit runs until they shut down the lift, then it was to siriannis for more pizza and garlic chips. i spent sunday evening at camp. Monday consisted of some more work there, then packing to head back to fairmont. tuesday was spent unpacking and doing laundry all day. Wednesday started my oct rotation at giant eagle in motown. I to work 12 hour days whcih is pretty cool because i already got in 24 hours this week and only had to work 2 days. i had today off of rotation but the weather looked crappy so i decided to go in to cvs and pick up some extra hours today. Gotta work there again tomorrow. Might go back to camp on sunday not sure yet. I have to work in motown on mon, tue, and fri, next week. Next weekend is the closing weekend at snowshoe. I'm planning on heading down there at least one day. Collegiate nats are coming up in a few weeks. I'm hoping to sneak down for the Dh. It's kinda sad this is the last i'll ever get to do.



that's all for now.


Gravy




btw, i'm always heckling folks to ride a wheelie but since i was out racing at the revenge here are a couple from the race:


No comments: